Divorce Attorneys in Culver City
Free Phone Consultations 310.740.9750

Child Support FAQ

If you are a parent who is going through a divorce or needing legal representation during a child support case, our firm is here to help. Widger & Widger, APLC is a Culver City-based law firm with a proven success record for providing clients with one-on-one counsel, hard-hitting representation and high-quality legal services. Our firm offers the work ethic of a large firm at a small firm price. We are experienced in negotiation, mediation and litigation, so are well prepared to assist you regardless of the direction your case may take. Hiring a Culver City divorce lawyer at our firm will significantly improve your odds of being awarded the fair and just support agreement you have been seeking.

As we realize you may have child support questions you want answered before retaining legal representation, here are answers to a few of the most frequently asked questions:

Who is responsible for paying child support?

A parent has a financial responsibility to provide for the care and needs of his or her minor child. Child support is the way for a non-custodial parent to provide financial support for his or her child. Stepparents and others who do not have a biological relation to the child cannot be ordered to pay child support, unless they have formally adopted the child as his or her own.

How is child support calculated?

Each state has guidelines on how child support is to be calculated and paid. Child support payments will depend on the needs of the child, each parent's respective incomes and expenses, the paying parent's ability to pay and the standard of living the child enjoyed before the divorce. There are also other factors which can affect child support, so it is advised you have a skilled lawyer providing you counsel.

How long will a parent have to keep paying child support?

If you are responsible for making child support payments as part of a final divorce decree or child support order, you will be required to continue making payments until your child turns 18. In certain situation child support may continue past a child's 18th birthday, particularly if he or she has special needs. When a child is adopted or emancipated by the court, the parent's rights and responsibilities will be terminated.

What can I do if my ex-spouse is refusing to make child support payments?

When a parent fails to make child support payments, he or she can be held in contempt of court. If your ex-spouse if refusing to make payments, a divorce lawyer from our firm will be able to advise you of your legal options and aggressively pursue the enforcement of the child support order.

How can I go about making changes to a child support order?

Anytime a parent is interested in making changes to an existing child support order, this can be accomplished by either obtaining the mutual agreement of his or her ex-spouse or by submitting a request to the court to modify support. Our firm can help with all types of modifications.

Child support can be a very contentious topic. As the parent who has been awarded physical custody of your child, you need to be able to see that your child's needs are met. Without the proper support agreement you could end up struggling to make ends meet. If this happens, it is your child who will suffer. Should you be the parent who is required to make child support payments, it is important you have a payment schedule that fits within your financial means.

You want to fulfill your parental responsibility and obligation to provide for your child, but you will not be able to keep up financially if unreasonable support orders are being enforced against you. Our firm is here to defend your parental rights and help you pursue the most optimal child support agreement. To get you started, we offer a free, no obligation case evaluation.

Contact our law firm today to discuss your case and review your legal options with a skilled divorce lawyer.